October 15th, 2015 – Embassy of United States in Rome at 12:00 pm
October 19th, 2015 – Embassy of Italy in Washington DC at 6:30 pm
Literary Prize The Bridge – First edition 2015
Fiction and Nonfiction books
Book Award “The Bridge”
The Book Award “The Bridge” is aimed to reinforce the mutual understanding between Italy and the USA by exposing the reading public to the best works of fiction and nonfiction recently released in the two countries. The Award is meant to be a “bridge” that connects two cultures.
“The Bridge” is structured in two sections, an American section and an Italian section, similar and opposite to each other. In the USA, new literary works by Italian writers, both of fiction and nonfiction, are judged by an American jury, consisting of university professors of Italian and other cultural experts; in Italy new books by American writers, both of fiction and nonfiction, are judged by an Italian jury consisting of university professors of American literature and other cultural experts.
The sponsors, organizers and administrators of the Award are: Casa delle Letterature of the Rome Municipality (founder and curator of the two sections, and sponsor of the fiction category for the American section); the National Italian American Foundation (NIAF, main sponsor of the nonfiction category for the American ), the American Embassy in Rome(main sponsor of both the fiction and nonfiction categories for the Italian section), and the American Initiative for Italian Culture (AIFIC, sponsor and administrator in the USA) and FUIS organization, Federazione Unitaria Scrittori Italiani. The Book Award “The Bridge” collaborates with the Embassy of Italy and Italian Cultural Institute in Washington, the American Academy in Rome, the Calandra Institute in New York, and the Italian Cultural Institute in New York.
The award ceremonies, both in the US and Italy, take place in October .
In Italy, the award is presented to the winners on October 15th at the American Embassy in Rome in presence of the the U.S. Ambassador to the Italian Republic John R. Phillips and representatives of Italian Institutions. The day of arrival Maria Ida Gaeta, director of Casa delle Letterature in Rome, and curator of “The Bridge,” welcomes the winners in Casa Delle Letterature to meet all the organizations involved in the Book Award.
In the USA the Award is presented to the winners on October 19th at the Italian Embassy, in Washington, DC, followed by a round table discussion with the winners and other exponents of the literary community. Then, the Italian winners will be received at Calandra Institute and at the Italian Culture Institute in NY.
Book Award Candidates – Edition 2015
1) DOMENICO STARNONE, Lacci, Einaudi 2014
2) DONATELLA DI PIETRANTONIO, Bella Mia, Elliot, 2014
3) ROMANA PETRI, Giorni Di Spasimato Amore, Longanesi , 2014
4) GIOVANNI MONTANARO, Tommaso sa le stelle, Feltrinelli 2014
5) ENRICO REGAZZONI, Una parete sottile, Neri Pozza 2014
ITALIAN NON FICTION
1) ROBERTO BIZZOCCHI, Una storia lunga mille anni cognomi Italiani, Laterza 2014
2) GIUSEPPE CARIDI, Carlo III, Salerno Editrice 2014
3) MARCO SANTAGATA, Petrarca e il romanzo di Laura, l’amoroso pensiero, Mondadori 2014
4) MARIO ISNENGHI, Ritorni di fiamma, Storie Italiane, Feltrinelli 2014
5) QUINTO ANTONELLI, Storia intima della Grande Guerra. Lettere, diari e memorie dei soldati dal fronte, Donzelli 2014
1) TIPHANIE YANIQUE, Land of love and drowning, Riverhead, 2014
2) RICHARD BAUSCH, BEFORE, DURING, AFTER, Knopf, 2014
3) CLAUDIA RANKINE, Citizen, an American Lyric, Graywolf, 2014
4) LAILA LALAMI, The moor’s account, Pantheon, 2014
5) LAIRD HUNT, Neverhome, Little, Brown a Company, 2014
AMERICAN NON FICTION
1) MARY BEARD, Laughter in Ancient Rome, University of California Press, 2014
2) JAMES R. BANKER, Piero della Francesca. Artist and Man, Oxford University Press, 2014
3) JOSEPH LUZZI, A Cinema of Poetry. Aesthetics of the Italian Art Film, John Hopkins University Press, 2014
4) ROBERT POGUE HARRISON, Juvenescence. A Cultural history of our age, Chicago UP
5) LUCY MAULSBY Fascism, Architecture, and the Claiming of Modern Milan, 1923-43 Toronto University Press, 2014
Program of the Award Ceremony –American Embassy of Rome, Italy
Invitation The Bridge 2015
THE JURY – First edition 2015
Review the press release :